Sunday, September 20, 2015

Days Fork to Eclipse Mine (Moderate 7 miles round-trip)

Description:   This is a scenic, not-crowded hike through beautiful alpine forests and meadows. I hiked it on Labor Day  weekend, and only saw 3 other people.

Trailhead:  From the bottom of Big Cottonwood Canyon (The 711 store) drive 9.7 miles up the Canyon and look for the Spruces Campground on your right. During camping season you have to pay to park there, so I just parked on the road and walked in.  I thought I knew where the trailhead was, but I didn't, and since I am one of those guys that doesn't like to ask for directions, I added an extra mile to the hike, walking around the campground!  From the toll booth, go to your right then enter the one way road, and go to your left past some restrooms. Look for Group Camp area 1 (not single campsite 1!)  Just past this you will see a baseball diamond. The trailhead is just past the baseball diamond, and is well-marked.  (GPS Coordinates N40* 38.456' W111* 38.307')  

The Hike:  The first 1/4 mile is fairly steep.  As it levels off, you will see a trail to your left which goes to Greens Basin. That is a nice hike,  (See post http://talesfrommytrekkingpoles.blogspot.com/2012/11/greens-basin.html) but not the way to the Eclipse Mine.  The trail is easy to follow, and goes straight for a while, then has some steep switchbacks to your right, where you pass an old mine that was not on my topo map, then levels out somewhat and eventually comes to the Eclipse Mine (GPS Coordinates N 40* 36.151' W111* 38.295')  This is a cool area with lots of old mining equipment. I then headed back the way I came.
I would love to get this old gear home, but I think it would take a helicopter!  It is about 5 feet in diameter.

More old mine equipment.

Why I love this hike!

Giant old trees

Trailhead sign near baseball diamond

Beginning of the trail.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know you had this blog!!! I want to do some of these hikes!!! Beautiful pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the contents you mentioned in post is too good and can be very useful. I will keep it in mind, thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts.Thanks HeroicReviewBlog

    ReplyDelete