Saturday, October 6, 2012

Loop from Silver Lake to Lake Solitude to Twin Lakes

Rock Solidtude Geocache container

Silver Lake viewed from the trail to Twin Lakes
 I received an email that my Rock Solidtude geocache may be missing, so I headed up to check it out. On the way up Big Cottonwood Canyon, ( I was going to say "bright and early," but it was still dark, so that wouldn't apply), my headlights caught the glowing eyes of a mountain lion sitting on the pipeline on the side of the road.  I did not attempt to get any pictures of this, but it was cool to see!  I arrived at the Silver Lake trailhead (9.2 miles from the bottom of the canyon), and headed around the right side of the lake. I wore a jacket for the first time this year, as the temperature was cool enough for ice to be forming at the edges of the ponds. I took the marked trail to Lake Solitude, and arrived just as the sun hit the peaks above the lake, their reflection shimmering in the ripples  caused by a refreshing breeze.  I confirmed that the geocache was still there, and headed back toward the car. Just as the sun was rising, I found a geocache called "Sunrise at the Sunrise," (near the Sunrise ski lift).  I hiked back down to the main trail and saw a trail on  my right that bypasses Silver Lake, and heads over to Twin Lakes.  This is at gps coordinates  N 40* 36.492 W 111* 35.536.  This stretch of trail is quite level and scenic. I saw several deer along here, and laughed when one used its hind leg to scratch behind its ear like  dog.
  The view above Silver lake was incredible, with the sun illuminating the golden aspen leaves like a lantern.  After reaching Twin Lakes I climbed up a couple of hundred feet to a geocache called The Albino Miner.
One of several deer I saw 

View of Twin Lakes from Albino Miner Geocache
 I then headed back down to the trailhead, having wandered 4.8 miles that beautiful morning.  A couple of thoughts I had while hiking:
      What made that one aspen leaf among millions of others, turn red?
     How much does a Smart Car weigh?  ( I saw a sign that said a moose can weigh 1600 pounds, and I thought that is probably what a Smart Car would weigh, and I checked it on Google, and sure enough, 1600 pounds!
   
One red aspen leaf among millions of yellow ones

6 comments:

  1. I don't think there is anything more beautiful than fall time in the mountains. I'm glad you didn't run into that mountain lion in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lizzy introduced me to your blog John. What wonder hikes you go on. Your pictures are beautiful. Have you ever thought about writing a hiking book? You have one of my favorite blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is cool about the cougar. I'd like to set up a trail cam somewhere and try to get some pictures of them sneaking around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also glad you were in your car to see the mountain lion! We saw a moose scratch his head with his leg and it also made us laugh. And as always, love your pictures! I'm starting to get excited for snow shoeing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so beautiful. Do you remember when we saw a mountain lion? I think it was in Millcreek canyon. Sidenote, you are a very good writer. Your descriptions paint a very good image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. Yeah, we saw the mountain lion near the top of Millcreek about 11 PM. poised on a boulder like it was going to attack the deer we saw nearby!

      Delete