Saturday, October 13, 2012

Stairs Gulch

Stairs Gulch
 This is a very short hike that begins 2.9 miles up Big Cottonwood Canyon.  It is a very peaceful place to go sit and relax and read a book and listen to the sound of the cascading water. The trail starts on the right side of the road, maybe 50 feet past the turnoff for Storm Mountain Amphitheater. There is space for only a couple of cars in this spot, but you can also park above or below.  It was quite dark when I started, so I had to wait a while for enough light to take some pictures, as the hike is only 1/3 mile long! I had planned to hike up Mule Hollow, but that trailhead was closed for construction.  I made the hike a couple of miles long, by wandering around the Storm Mountain camping area across the road.
Storm Mountain
     When I was young, our next door neighbor, who was probably in his eighties told me that he was a Forest Ranger assigned to Storm Mountain, and they wouldn't build a cabin for him, because they said it would just get smashed by rock slides! He said he had to sleep in a tent, but never slept very well, as he kept thinking about rocks smashing into his tent!
I found this leaf "Just hangin' around."

This leaf was doing its own thing

5 comments:

  1. How pretty. I've never heard of that hike before. But I'm confused-is it 2.9 miles or 1/3 miles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these pictures. Autumn is my favorite time of year - I love the cooler weather and watching the leaves as they change color. I love how bright and colorful the leaves in your pictures are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! That's scary about your old neighbor! It seems like they could have figured out some kind of strong cabin. Much better than a flimsey tent!

    Melissa- To get to the trail head you go 2.9 miles up the canyon. The hike its self is only 1/3 miles long.

    ReplyDelete